University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Department of Medicine
Division of Hematology / Oncology
Jocelyn L. Tan-Shalaby, M.D., FACP
VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
Department of Medicine
Section of Hematology Oncology
University Drive C, 8 West Suite 124
Pittsburgh PA 15240
- EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor of Science, Major in Biology 1984
- University of the Philippines. Entrance Scholar
- Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
- Doctor of Medicine 1988
- University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, Quezon City, Philippines
- Post-graduate Rotating Internship
- University Hospital, Senior Intern
- Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center
- University of the East, Quezon City, Philippines
- Director: Romeo Divinagracia, MD
- Residency and Internship in Internal Medicine
- Nassau County Medical Center
- State University of New York at Stony Brook
- East Meadow, New York
- Director: Farouk Khan, MD
- Residency in Internal Medicine
- Montefiore Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine
- Bronx, New York
- Director: Joan Casey, MD
- Fellowship in Medical Oncology
- Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Bronx, New York
- Director: Peter Wiernik, MD
- Fellowship in Hematology/Medical Oncology
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Section of Hematology Oncology, Omaha, Nebraska
- Director: John Foley, MD
- CLINICAL APPOINTMENTS / NON ACADEMIC
Aug 2006- present
- Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Health Care System
- Attending Staff and Gastrointestinal Cancers Clinical Director
- Division of Hematology-Oncology
2003 – 2010
- Staff Oncologist University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute
- Uniontown Outpatient Oncology Clinic, Uniontown Pennsylvania
- Teramana Cancer Center, Steubenville Ohio
- Canonsburg Hospital, Canonsburg PA
- Ohio Valley General Hospital, McKees Rocks PA
- St. Margaret’s Hospital, Pittsburgh PA
- Washington Hospital. Washington PA
1999 – 2000
- Staff Oncologist, Medical Oncology Clinic
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Horizon Hospital System Farrell, Pennsylvania
- Staff Internist, Outpatient Medical Clinic
- Charles Drew Health Center, Omaha, Nebraska
2019 to present
- Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine,
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine
- Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska
- CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSURE
- American Board of Internal Medicine subspecialty of Medical Oncology, recertified 2008-2018 , 2018 to 2028
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty of Medical Oncology, certified 1998-2008
- American Board of Internal Medicine, certified in Internal Medicine 1993-2003
- MEDICAL AND PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE
- State of Pennsylvania Medical License (active)
- State of Ohio Medical License
- State of West Virginia Medical License
- State of Nebraska Medical License
- State of California Medical License
- State of Iowa Medical License
- State of Connecticut Medical License
- Republic of the Philippines, Medical license
- MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL AND SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Member, Society for Integrative Oncology 2019
- Member, American Association for Cancer Research, #142816 since 2015
- Member, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group- Member (active)
- Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology (active)
- Member, American College of Physicians (active)
- American Medical Association 1990-1997
- Member, Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Member AVAHO 2012-present; Education and Clinical trials committee
- National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project NSABP Member, Institution #014-47 VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System. March 2013-present
HONORS and AWARDS
- Finalist, Pain Challenge Competition, University of Pittsburgh March 2017
- Special Thanks and Recognition STAR Awardee, Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh HealthCare System – April 2016, Sept. 2016
- Chief of Staff Clinical Excellence Award-Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; Feb 2015.
- PRSEF Teacher Award: Department of Neuroscience; University of Pittsburgh April 2016, and April 2014
- Most Outstanding Alumni Award – February 7, 2013, University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, College of Medicine, Quezon City, Philippines.
Special Contribution Award- in Research
- Department of Medicine, Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs Medical Center. March 2013
- Special Thanks and Recognition STAR Awardee: Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 2008 and 2009
- Certificate, With Distinction: Writing in the Sciences; Stanford University Online
- Plaque of Appreciation for Outstanding Service University of Nebraska Medical Center, Hematology/Bone Marrow Transplantation 1994-1995
- Physicians Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 1996
- Entrance Scholar: University of the Philippines 1981
- National College Entrance Exam, Philippines 99+ percentile 1981
- Tan-Shalaby J. Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: reflections and reactions. The Lancet Public Health; November 2018, Volume 3, Issue 11, PE517
- Tan-Shalaby J. The ketogenic diet-defining a role in cancer therapy. Mini Review; Integrative Food, Nutrition and Metabolism, 2018 February 9; doi:10.15761/IFNM.1000209; Volume 5(2):1-2
- Tan-Shalaby J. Ketogenic Diets and Cancer, Emerging Evidence; Review Article. Federal Practitioner, February 2017 Oncology Special Issue.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Ketogenic Diets – Potential Role in Cancer Management. SRL Case Rep Short Rev. 2016;2(1): 001-003.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Carrick J, Edinger K, Genovese D, Liman AD, Passero VA, Shah RB. Modified Atkin’s Diet in Advanced Cancer-Final results of a safety and feasibility trial within the Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. Nutrition and Metabolism. Nutrition & Metabolism 2016 August 12; 13:52 DOI: 1186/s12986-016-0113-y
- Tan-Shalaby J. Reproducible Complete Remission of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Sorafenib in combination with Clopidogrel. BMJ Case Reports: 1 Sept 2014.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Prostate carcinoma presenting with bulky mediastinal and cervical lymphadenopathy BMJ Case Rep April 2013 doc 10.1136/bcr-2013-008643.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Complete radiographic remission with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin after sorafenib failure in hepatocellular carcinoma: Is there a role for chemotherapy after targeted agents? BMJ Case ReportsAugust 2013: 16 September 2013 bcr-2013-010362.R1.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Seyfried TN., Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer- A Pilot Feasibility and Safety Trial in the Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Journal of Clinical Trials. November 27, 2013.
- Tan-Shalaby J., Armitage JO, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Journal of the Irish Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons,Vol. 24, No. 3, 1995.
- Tan-Shalaby J., Tempero M, Malignancies after Liver Transplantation: a comparative review. Seminars in Liver Disease. 15(2)156-64, 1995.
Abstracts and Poster Presentations
- Tan-Shalaby Jocelyn, Thomas RA, Carrick J, Liman A, Passero V. Modified Ketogenic Diet in Lymphoma. Metabolic Health Summit, Renaissance Hotel, Long Beach, California January 30 to February 2, 2020
- Liman AD, Tan Jocelyn, Passero V, Tokarsky J, Shields J. The effect of radium-223 therapy in agent orange related veterans with metastatic castrate resistance prostate carcinoma (CRPC) The effect of radium-223 therapy in agent orange related veterans with metastatic castrate resistance prostate carcinoma (CRPC), poster presentation. ESMO Asia 2019 November.
- Tan, Jocelyn L, Carrick J, Genovese D, Liman A, Passero V, Edinger K, Shah R.
Ketogenic diet in Advanced Cancer. A pilot and feasibility trial in the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare system. Poster presentation VAPHS Innovators poster exhibit July 2019
- Tan, Jocelyn L. Carrick, J, Passero VA, Shields J, Liman AD, Rai H, Harrold L, Modified ketogenic diet in solid tumors: A Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System case series. New Targets and New Technologies. J Clin Oncol 37,2019 (suppl; Abstract e14217)
- Passero VA, Liman AD, Allen K, Speerhas L, Tan Jocelyn, Harrold L etal. Creation of a virtual cancer care network for remote oncology treatment. J Clin Oncol 2019 37:15_suppl, 6546.
- Tan-Shalaby JL , Carrick J, Shields J “Anti Platelet therapies in combination with Sorafenib and / or Transarterial chemoembolization improve hepatocellular carcinoma treatment outcomes” Abstract Poster presentation, AVAHO Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Conference, September 2018, Chicago Illinois.
- Liman AD, Gandhi A, Liman A, Frye R, Capets JL, Shah RB, Rai H, Tan J
Abstract“A Case of Systemic Mastocytosis with Associated Clonal Hematological Non-Mast Cell Lineage Disease (SM- AHNMD) at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System” AVAHO Conference 2018 September, Chicago IL
- Tan-Shalaby J.,Thomas RA, Carrick J, Liman AD, Passero VA,Patel A, Shields J. Modified ketogenic diet in lymphoma: A case series in the Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. ASCO American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Conference 2018 June ; abstract e24222.
- Passero VA, Liman AD, Rai H, Harrold L, Hotchkiss J, Speerhas L, Allen K, Veraldi K, Tokarsky J, Couch M, Kies K, Shields J, Tan JL
Development of a virtual cancer care network for distance oncology treatment. VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA; James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center – Altoona, Altoona, PA abstract Poster Presentation; ASCO Quality Care Symposium , September 2018
- Tan-Shalaby J. . Carrick J, Edinger K, Genovese D, Liman AD, Passero VA, Shah RB. Modified ketogenic diet in advanced malignancies- final results of a safety and feasibility trial within the Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. American Society of Clinical Oncology ASCO Annual Conference Subcategory: New Targets and New Technologies Category: Tumor Biology Abstract Number: J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e23173).
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, Edinger K, Liman A, Passero V, Shah R. Oral Abstract presentation : Modified Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, A Pilot Safety and Feasibility Study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System, Final Results, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology Annual Conference, October 2-4, 2015, Marriott Wardman, Washington DC.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Shah R. Rare Case of Sero-Negative Cat-Scratch Disease masquerading as Relapsed Hodgkins Lymphoma. Poster, AVAHO conference, October 2-4, 2015, Washington DC.
- The Efficacy of Abiraterone Pre- and Post- Docetaxel and Sequential Use of Enzalutamide After Abiraterone in Veteran Patients with Metastatic Castrate-Resistant Prostate Carcinoma – Andrew Liman, Jenna Shields, Megan Cockcroft, Vida Passero, Jocelyn Tan, Hema Rai, Sandra Blakowski, and Joyce Tokarsky.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, etal. Interim report of the modified ketogenic diet (MKD) in advanced cancer patients; A pilot feasibility and safety study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; American Institute for Cancer Research Conference, Poster, Oct 2014 Washington DC.
- Tan-ShalabyReproducible Complete Remission of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Sorafenib in combination with Clopidogrel. Poster; June 26, 2014, AVAHO conference Sept 2014, Portland, Oregon.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Liman AD, Passero V, Carrick J, Edinger K, Shah R. Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, Poster presentation, Abstract #11, Federal Practitioner Abstract Book; AVAHO conference October 2013. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Liman AD, Liman A, Tan Jocelyn, Shields MULTIKINASE INHIBITOR SUNITINIB FOR METASTATIC ADAMANTINOMA VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA, Poster presentation, AVAHO Conference, October 2013, Atlanta, Georgia.
Teaching and Preceptorships
Aug 2006-present Attending/preceptor to Fellows Clinic, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, Inpatient consults with fellows, residents and medical students
Outpatient Fellows Clinic
- John Morcos MD July 2006-Aug 2007
- Rachel Jankowitz MD July 2007-Aug 2008
- Liang Hong Mei MD, PhD July 2008-Aug 2009
- Usha Malhotra MD July 2009-Aug 2010
- Liza Villaruz MD July 2010-Aug 2011
- Lijun Dai MD PhD July 2011-Aug 2012
- Robert Vanderweele MD July 2012-Dec 2012
- Jorge Rios MD Jan 2013-present
- Craig Seaman MD Dec 2013
- Arpita Ghandhi MD 2017-2018
- Lois Brown PA-C -present
Inpatient Hospital Consult Service, VA Hospital
- Melissa Burgess MD February 2014
- Tadeo Ambros MD February 2014, Oct 2014
- Filho Pastorini MD February-March 2014, Oct 2014
- Gloria Minella MD Sept 2014
- Yana Najjar MD Oct 2014
- Amy Lu MD Sept- 2014
- Emily Whitman-Purves MD Oct 2014
- Jeff Brown MD Oct 2014
- Shelley Sahu MD February 2015
- Katerina Ancevski MD December 2015
- Roby Thomas MD March 2016
- Michael Kurin MD March 2016
- John Kang MD,PhD March 2016
- Arisha Patel MD November 2017 PGY 5
- Apurva Pandey MD August 2017 PGY 5
- Christine Garcia MD April 2017 PGY 4
- Georgios TriantafyllousMD April 2017 PGY 4
- Maria Velez Velez December 2017 PGY 1
- Chao Yuan Kuang MD PHD Dember 2017 PGY 4
- Arisha Patel MD December 2017 PGY-5
- Phillip Hamilton MD December 2017 PGY-1
- Tyler Sevco MD April 2018 PGY-1
- Azadeh Nasrazadani MD PhD April 2018 PGY-3
- Aleksandr Andreev MD April 2018 PGY 3
- Azadeh Nasrazadani MD PhD October 2018 PGY-4
- Chao Yuan Kuang MD PhD September 2018 PGY 6
- Kevin Quann MD PhD November 2018 PGY 4
- Anthony Santisi MD November 2018 PGY 1
- Zahra Rahman-Kelly MD January 2019 PGY4
- Anthony Davis-Maxwell MD January 2019 PGY 2
- Apurva Pandey MD April 2019 PGY 6
- Asha Ricuitti MD April 2019 PGY 5
- Zahra Kelly MD Sept 2019 PGY 5
- Anjali Rohatgi MD PhD October 2019 PGY 5
Preceptorships- Clinical Lectures and Tumor boards
Fall 2015 Preceptor : Physical Exam class for University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
1996-98 Preceptor to Medical Students and Nurse Practitioners – MS II-III
Creighton University/University of Nebraska Medical Center–Charles Drew Health Center Rotations
1994-1995 Clinical Preceptor to medical students, years II-III Hematology/Oncology Service,University of Nebraska Med Center
2015-present Mini lecture series in Colorectal cancer- VAPHS -see Lectures
Monthly colorectal cancer Tumor board discussions. VAPHS
1994-1995 Director, Tumor Board VAMC Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, Noon conferences.
BOOK PROJECT (ongoing)
Ketogenic Diets- Roles in Medical Oncology– Work in progress with the following clinical fellows-Roby Thomas MD, Arisha Patel MD, Apurva Pandey MD, Christine Garcia MD, Chaoyuan Kuang MD PhD, Hema Rai MD (co-attending), Mariam Shalaby BPhil, BS
- RESEARCH RELATED ACTIVITIES
Current Clinical trials
Tan, Jocelyn Site PI, CANSTEM 303C Phase III study of napabucasin (BBI-608) in combination with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), leucovorin, irinotecan (FOLFIRI) in adult patients with previously treated metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC). Parexel/Boston Biomedical. Ongoing enrollment
ECOG 1505 Protocol 020 Tan Jocelyn site PI Sponsor/CRO: Long term Follow up
TRYBECA Tan, Jocelyn Site PI Sponsor/CRO: Erytech/PPDI CDA was completed but the study is currently on hold
Shalaby A, Tan Jocelyn (co -investigator) Protocol 1VIT15043 A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled study to investigate the efficacy and safety of Injectafer (Ferric Carboxymaltose) as treatment for heart failure with iron deficiency. Luipold Pharmaceuticals. Ongoing VAPHS
Tan, Jocelyn. Shaikh Obaid. Site Coinvestigators Hi Quality Study Hepasphere/QuadraSphere in Liver Cancer Treatment. Prospective randomized trial blinded trial of HepaSphere/QuadraSphere for delivery of doxorubicin for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Actively recruiting. Opened April 2016 , actively recruiting.
Previous clinical trials
Tan, Jocelyn, Principal Investigator
Investigator Initiated Trial
Protocol: Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer. Effect of a Low Carbohydrate Diet in Patients with Advanced Cancer
A Pilot Feasibility Study in the Veterans Affairs Cancer Patient Population.
Approved by the VA Investigational Review Board: October 2012
Tan, Jocelyn Principal site investigator. INCYTE Cholangiocarcinoma Phase 2 , Open label, single arm, multicenter study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of INCB054828 in subjects with advanced /metastatic or surgically unresectable cholangiocarcinoma including FGFR2 translocations who failed previous therapy. VAPHS
Liman A, Tan Jocelyn site co-PI, Incyte 201 INCB 54828-201 A Phase 2, Open Label, Single Agent Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of INCB054828 in Subjects with metastatic or surgically unresectable urothelial carcinoma harboring FGF/FGFR alterations. VAPHS. INCYTE 201
Tan , Jocelyn :Site investigator. A Randomized, Double-blind, Multi-center, Multi-national Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety, and Immunogenicity of SAIT101 Versus Rituximab as a First-line Immunotherapy Treatment in Patients With Low Tumor Burden Follicular Lymphoma (RAMO-2)AGB002 study (Sponsor: Archigen Biotech Ltd). Current, recruiting.
Tan, Jocelyn, Principal Site Investigator. AMGEN NSCLC study; Principal Investigator, Amgen sponsored Study- A Randomized Double Blind Placebo Controlled Study to Evaluate the Long Term Safety and Efficacy of Darbepoetin Alfa Administered at 500 ug Once Every 3 Weeks in Anemic Patients With Advanced Stage Non Small Cell Lung Cancer Receiving Multi cycle Chemotherapy. VAMC Pittsburgh. completed
CALGB 80802-Phase III Randomized Study of Sorafenib plus Doxorubicin Versus Sorafenib in Patients with Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC)
Principal Site Investigator: Jocelyn Tan MD, Co-Investigators: Vida Passero MD. Andrew Liman, MD, Joyce Tokarsky, RN, MSN, Thomas Cacciarelli,MD. completed
A Phase III Randomized Trial of Adjuvant Chemotherapy With or Without Bevacizumab for Patients With Completely Resected Stage IB (> 4 cm) – IIIA Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) Principal Site Investigator: Jocelyn Tan MD, Co-Investigators: Vida Passero, MD, Andrew Liman, MD, Joyce Tokarsky, RN, MSN, Thomas Cacciarelli, MD ,
Tan, Jocelyn Principal Site Investigator; Phase III Trial of Irinotecan-Based Chemotherapy Plus Cetuximab (NSC-714692) or Bevacizumab (NSC-704865) as Second-Line Therapy for Patients with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer who have Progressed on Bevacizumab with either FOLFOX, OPTIMOX or XELOX.
A Phase II Randomized Trial of Chemotherapy With or Without Bevacizumab in Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Head and Neck Cancer: Principal Investigator: Andrew Liman Co-Investigators: Jocelyn Tan MD, Joyce Tokarsky RN MSN, Sandra Blakowski MD, and Umamaheswar Duvvuri MD.
A Controlled, Parallel-Group, Randomized, Open-Label Study to Evaluate Two Lenalidomide Dose Regimens When Used in Combination with Low Dose Dexamethasone for the Treatment of Subjects with Relapsed Multiple Myeloma
David Roodman, MD Principal Investigator: Nikhil Munshi, M.D. Co-Investigators: Jocelyn Tan, M.D., Andrew Liman, M.D., Sandra Blakowski M.D.,Vida Passero, M.D.
Phase II study to evaluate efficacy and safety of single weekly administration of Bortezomib in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma
Protocol Version and Date: Version2.0; December 09, 2010
Principal Investigator: G. David Roodman, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-Investigators: Gurkamal Chatta, MD, Andrew Liman MD, Jocelyn Tan MD, Vida Passero, MD and Joyce Tokarsky, RN
CALGB 70604 A Randomized, Phase III Study of Standard Dosing versus Longer Dosing Interval of Zoledronic Acid in Metastatic Cancer;Protocol Version and Date: Version 1.5, dated, 11/22/10 Principal Investigator: Joyce Tokarsky, RN, MSN Co-Investigators: David Roodman, MD, Gurkamal Chatta, MD, Jocelyn Tan, MD, Andrew Liman, MD, Vida Passero, M.D. Institution(s):VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System-University Drive Location.
ACOSOG Z6041 Malak Bokhari MD, Jocelyn Tan MD A Phase II Trial of Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation, Local Excision for uT2uN0 Rectal Cancer–closed.
Phase 3 AFFIRM Trial of MDV3100 A Multicenter Single Arm Open Label Treatment Protocol to provide Expanded Access to MDV3100 and Monitor Its Safety in Patients with Progressive Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Previously Treated with Docetaxel-Based Chemotherapy Astellas Prostate Cancer Trial. Principal Site Investigator Andrew Liman MD, VAPHS Site Co Investigator, Jocelyn Tan MD.
Co-Investigator, (ALLHAT) Antihypertensive and Lipid Lowering Therapy to Prevent Heart Attack Trial, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Omaha Nebraska chapter (trial completed) sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) 1996-1997
Co-Investigator, Evaluation of the Abbott Ligase Chain reaction LCx Probe System For Detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae from Urine Specimens, Cavalieri S., et al. Creighton University Medical Center, Department of Pathology, Omaha, Nebraska, 1997
Other Research Related Activities
- Reviewer, Journal of Evolution and Health
- Reviewer, Springer Ebook publications, Nova
- Ad-hoc reviewer for British Medical Journals
- Reviewer for Bentham Science Publishers eBooks, Nova Publishing
- Reviewer, Journal; Medical Oncology
- Reviewer, Advances in Nutrition
- Editorial Board Member: SciRes Literature Open Access Journal
- Editorial Board: Austin Hematology, Gavin Publishing
- Editorial Reviewer- Clinical Case Reports Journal
Invited Lectures, Seminars and Discussion panel
- Invited interview. The Keto Woman Docuseries. Estimated Release date in early/mid 2020
- Cancer Today news magazine. Keto Diets in Cancer. October 2019
- May 8, 2019 Invited commentary: Keto after 60, a doctor’s advice for losing weight with the keto diet. Medicare Allies.
- September 29, 2018 – Invited Speaker, Anti-Platelet therapies in combination with Sorafenib and/or trans-arterial chemoembolization improve hepatocellular carcinoma treatment outcomes. AVAHO Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Annual Conference; Loews Chicago O’Hare, Chicago IL
- May 5, 2018 Invited Speaker: Ketogenic Diets: Fad, Fats, and Facts
CME Program; University of the East Medical Alumni Association of America UERM MARVADC Chapter; Alumni Fundraising Spring Gala; Doubletree Hotel Tyson’s Corner ,McLean Virginia
- August 30, 2017 Invited Lecturer: Colorectal Cancer – Current Status and New Therapies- Gastrointestinal Lecture Series, Gastroenterology Department, Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- February 3, 2017 Invited Speaker : Beyond Chemotherapy- Role of Biologics in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer- Annual Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- February 12, 2016 Invited Speaker: Nutrition and Cancer- Ketogenic Diets and Cancer; Annual Updates in Hematology Oncology, VAPHS
Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- 19, 2015 Speaker and Moderator: “Chemotherapy Update- Lonsurf (Trifluridine/Tipiracil) in Metastatic Colon Cancer and other New Drugs” Tan J. Colorectal Cancer Series, VAPHS Pittsburgh PA
- 4, 2015 Invited Speaker : Oral Abstract Presentation, Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, Edinger K, Liman A, Passero V, Shah R. Modified Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, A Pilot Safety and Feasibility Study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System, Final Results, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology Annual Conference, October 2-4, 2015,, Marriott Wardman, Washington DC
- Feb 23, 2015 Speaker: “Peritoneal carcinomatosis and the role of HIPEC” Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- April 8, 2015 Speaker: “Eleven Nodes or Less” Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- April 20, 2015 Speaker: “Colorectal Cancer with Liver Only Metastases”, Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- January 9, 2015 Invited Speaker: “Nutrition and Diet in Cancer”, Tan J, Speaker, Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; January 9, 2015
- January 9, 2015 Invited Speaker: “Updates in Colorectal cancer”, Tan J, Speaker, Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; January 9, 2015
- January 2009 Invited Speaker: Community Outreach: “Cancer in America, What you Need to Know” Annual Women’s Conference, ICP Community Center, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
- Sept 2006 Medical Residents Noon Rounds, “Gastric Cancer”, VA Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1997 Invited Speaker: Live Television Broadcast for Public Awareness on Local Omaha News Channel Promoting the (ALLHAT) Antihypertensive and Lipid Lowering Therapy to Prevent Heart Attack Trial, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Omaha NE
COMMUNITY SERVICE/ DEPARTMENTAL AND HOSPITAL COMMITTEES
2019 August to present: Online Facebook Cancer support group. Keto for Cancer
2016- present Moderator and Blogger of public cancer domain: www.ketooncologist.com
2017-present Braddock Free Clinic, Pittsburgh PA – Financial Supporter
2008-present Director, Gastrointestinal Oncology; Multidisciplinary Tumor Board , Colorectal Collaborative; VA Pittsburgh Health Care System
2013 –present: New Leadership Council Board member, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
2014-present www.Healthtap.com virtual medical oncology consultant
2014-present Education Committee, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology
2015-present Research Committee, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology
2010-present Hepato-Biliary Multidisciplinary Committee Member VAPHCS
2010-present Radiation Oncology Multidisciplinary Team Member
2011-2012. VA Cancer Care Committee Member, GI oncology section
2006-2008 Colorectal Cancer Care Collaborative VAPHCS, Gastrointestinal Oncology Clinical Champion VISN 4
2005-2006 Oncology Committee, Trinity Medical Center, Steubenville. Ohio
1996-1998 Patient Care Evaluation Committee, Sub-Committee of the Cancer Committee, Member, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska
1996-1998 Pharmacy and Health Center Improvement Committee, Charles Drew Health Center, Omaha, Nebraska
2006-present Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15240; Staff Physician
2003 – 2007
- Staff Physician, St. Margaret’s Hospital, Pittsburgh PA
- Consulting Staff, Uniontown Hospital, Uniontown PA
- Consulting Staff, Trinity Medical Center, Steubenville OH
- Consulting Staff, Weirton Medical Center, Weirton, WV
- Consulting Staff, Washington, Hospital, Washington, PA
- Consulting Staff, Horizon Hospital, Farrell, PA
- Consulting Staff, Ohio Valley Medical Center
- Staff Physician, Internal Medicine,
- St. Joseph’s Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska
Staff Physician, Medicine, Immanuel Medical Center Alegent Healthcare System, Omaha, Nebraska
Revised Dec 20, 2019
Jocelyn Tan MD FACP