Jocelyn L. Tan , M.D., FACP
I. EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Dr. Tan holds a Bachelor of Science major in Biology from the University of the Philippines and earned her Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of the East, Philippines. She then trained for her Internal medicine residency at the Nassau County Medical Center and Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Long Island NY and the Bronx NY, respectively. She completed her Medical Oncology Fellowship at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha Nebraska.
II. CURRENT POSITION
Gastrointestinal Cancer Director and Clinical Trials Director at the Pittsburgh Veteran Affairs Medical Center.
Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Integrative Oncology Scholar
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
III. Board Certification
American Board of Internal Medicine in the subspecialty of Medical Oncology
IV. PROFESSIONAL AND SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
- Fellow, American College of Physicians
- Member, Society for Integrative Oncology
- Member, American Association for Cancer Research
- Member, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group
- Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Member, Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Member AVAHO Education and Clinical trials committee
- National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project NSABP Member
V. HONORS and AWARDS
- Integrative Oncology Scholar, University of Michigan , Ann Arbor MI, 2020-2021
- Finalist, Pain Challenge Competition, University of Pittsburgh March 2017
- Special Thanks and Recognition STAR Awardee, Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh HealthCare System – April 2016, Sept. 2016
- Chief of Staff Clinical Excellence Award-Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System , Feb 2015.
- PRSEF Teacher Award: Department of Neuroscience; University of Pittsburgh 2016, and 2014
- Most Outstanding Alumni Award – 2013, University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center, College of Medicine, Philippines.
- Special Contribution Award- in Research- Department of Medicine, Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs Medical Center. 2013
- Special Thanks and Recognition STAR Awardee: Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 2008 and 2009
- Outstanding Service Award, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Hematology/Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Physicians Recognition Award, American Medical Association, 1996
- Entrance Scholar: University of the Philippines
- National College Entrance Exam, Philippines 99+ percentile
VI. SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- Tan-Shalaby J. Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: reflections and reactions. The Lancet Public Health; November 2018, Volume 3, Issue 11, PE517
- Tan-Shalaby J. The ketogenic diet-defining a role in cancer therapy. Mini Review; Integrative Food, Nutrition and Metabolism, 2018 February 9; doi:10.15761/IFNM.1000209; Volume 5(2):1-2
- Tan-Shalaby J. Ketogenic Diets and Cancer, Emerging Evidence; Review Article. Federal Practitioner, February 2017 Oncology Special Issue.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Ketogenic Diets – Potential Role in Cancer Management. SRL Case Rep Short Rev. 2016;2(1): 001-003.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Carrick J, Edinger K, Genovese D, Liman AD, Passero VA, Shah RB. Modified Atkin’s Diet in Advanced Cancer-Final results of a safety and feasibility trial within the Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. Nutrition and Metabolism. Nutrition & Metabolism 2016 August 12; 13:52 DOI: 10.1186/s12986-016-0113-y
- Tan-Shalaby J. Reproducible Complete Remission of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Sorafenib in combination with Clopidogrel. BMJ Case Reports: 1 Sept 2014.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Prostate carcinoma presenting with bulky mediastinal and cervical lymphadenopathy BMJ Case Rep April 2013 doc 10.1136/bcr-2013-008643.
- Tan-Shalaby J. Complete radiographic remission with 5-fluorouracil and leucovorin after sorafenib failure in hepatocellular carcinoma: Is there a role for chemotherapy after targeted agents? BMJ Case Reports August 2013: 16 September 2013 bcr-2013-010362.R1.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Seyfried TN., Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer- A Pilot Feasibility and Safety Trial in the Pittsburgh Veterans Affairs Health Care System. Journal of Clinical Trials. November 27, 2013.
- Tan-Shalaby J., Armitage JO, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Journal of the Irish
Colleges of Physicians and Surgeons,Vol. 24, No. 3, 1995.
- Tan-Shalaby J., Tempero M, Malignancies after Liver Transplantation: a
comparative review. Seminars in Liver Disease. 15(2)156-64, 1995.
Recent Abstracts and Poster Presentations
- Tan-Shalaby Jocelyn, Thomas RA, Carrick J, Liman A, Passero V. Modified Ketogenic Diet in Lymphoma. Metabolic Health Summit, Renaissance Hotel, Long Beach, California January 30 to February 2, 2020
- Liman AD, Tan Jocelyn, Passero V, Tokarsky J, Shields J. The effect of radium-223 therapy in agent orange related veterans with metastatic castrate resistance prostate carcinoma (CRPC) The effect of radium-223 therapy in agent orange related veterans with metastatic castrate resistance prostate carcinoma (CRPC), poster presentation. ESMO Asia 2019 November.
- Tan, Jocelyn L, Carrick J, Genovese D, Liman A, Passero V, Edinger K, Shah R.
Ketogenic diet in Advanced Cancer. A pilot and feasibility trial in the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare system. Poster presentation VAPHS Innovators poster exhibit July 2019
- Tan, Jocelyn L. Carrick, J, Passero VA, Shields J, Liman AD, Rai H, Harrold L, Modified ketogenic diet in solid tumors: A Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System case series. New Targets and New Technologies. J Clin Oncol 37,2019 (suppl; Abstract e14217)
- Passero VA, Liman AD, Allen K, Speerhas L, Tan Jocelyn, Harrold L etal. Creation of a virtual cancer care network for remote oncology treatment. J Clin Oncol 2019 37:15_suppl, 6546.
- Tan-Shalaby JL , Carrick J, Shields J “Anti Platelet therapies in combination with Sorafenib and / or Transarterial chemoembolization improve hepatocellular carcinoma treatment outcomes” Abstract Poster presentation, AVAHO Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Conference, September 2018, Chicago Illinois.
- Liman AD, Gandhi A, Liman A, Frye R, Capets JL, Shah RB, Rai H, Tan J
Abstract“A Case of Systemic Mastocytosis with Associated Clonal Hematological Non-Mast Cell Lineage Disease (SM- AHNMD) at VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System” AVAHO Conference 2018 September, Chicago IL
- Tan-Shalaby J.,Thomas RA, Carrick J, Liman AD, Passero VA,Patel A, Shields J. Modified ketogenic diet in lymphoma: A case series in the Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. ASCO American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Conference 2018 June ; abstract e24222.
- Passero VA, Liman AD, Rai H, Harrold L, Hotchkiss J, Speerhas L, Allen K, Veraldi K, Tokarsky J, Couch M, Kies K, Shields J, Tan JL
Development of a virtual cancer care network for distance oncology treatment. VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA; James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center – Altoona, Altoona, PA abstract Poster Presentation; ASCO Quality Care Symposium , September 2018
- Tan-Shalaby J. . Carrick J, Edinger K, Genovese D, Liman AD, Passero VA, Shah RB. Modified ketogenic diet in advanced malignancies- final results of a safety and feasibility trial within the Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System. American Society of Clinical Oncology ASCO Annual Conference Subcategory: New Targets and New Technologies Category: Tumor Biology Abstract Number: J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e23173).
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, Edinger K, Liman A, Passero V, Shah R. Oral Abstract presentation : Modified Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, A Pilot Safety and Feasibility Study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System, Final Results, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology Annual Conference, October 2-4, 2015, Marriott Wardman, Washington DC.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Shah R. Rare Case of Sero-Negative Cat-Scratch Disease masquerading as Relapsed Hodgkins Lymphoma. Poster, AVAHO conference, October 2-4, 2015, Washington DC.
- The Efficacy of Abiraterone Pre- and Post- Docetaxel and Sequential Use of Enzalutamide After Abiraterone in Veteran Patients with Metastatic Castrate-Resistant Prostate Carcinoma – Andrew Liman, Jenna Shields, Megan Cockcroft, Vida Passero, Jocelyn Tan, Hema Rai, Sandra Blakowski, and Joyce Tokarsky.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, etal. Interim report of the modified ketogenic diet (MKD) in advanced cancer patients; A pilot feasibility and safety study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; American Institute for Cancer Research Conference, Poster, Oct 2014 Washington DC.
- Tan-Shalaby Reproducible Complete Remission of Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma with Sorafenib in combination with Clopidogrel. Poster; June 26, 2014, AVAHO conference Sept 2014, Portland, Oregon.
- Tan-Shalaby J, Liman AD, Passero V, Carrick J, Edinger K, Shah R. Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, Poster presentation, Abstract #11, Federal Practitioner Abstract Book; AVAHO conference October 2013. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Liman AD, Liman A, Tan Jocelyn, Shields J. MULTIKINASE INHIBITOR SUNITINIB FOR METASTATIC ADAMANTINOMA VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, PA, Poster presentation, AVAHO Conference, October 2013, Atlanta, Georgia.
Other Research Related Activities
- Reviewer, Journal of Evolution and Health
- Reviewer, Springer Ebook publications, Nova
- Ad-hoc reviewer for British Medical Journals
- Reviewer for Bentham Science Publishers eBooks, Nova Publishing
- Reviewer, Journal; Medical Oncology
- Reviewer, Advances in Nutrition
- Editorial Board Member: SciRes Literature Open Access Journal
- Editorial Board: Austin Hematology, Gavin Publishing
- Editorial Reviewer- Clinical Case Reports Journal
Selected Invited Lectures, Seminars and Interviews
- Invited interview with Naomi Whittel. The Keto Woman Docuseries. Estimated Release date in early/mid 2020
- Interview. Cancer Today news magazine. Keto Diets in Cancer. October 2019
- May 8, 2019 Invited commentary: Keto after 60, a doctor’s advice for losing weight with the keto diet. Medicare Allies.
- September 29, 2018 – Invited Speaker, Anti-Platelet therapies in combination with Sorafenib and/or trans-arterial chemoembolization improve hepatocellular carcinoma treatment outcomes. AVAHO Association of Veteran Affairs Hematology Oncology Annual Conference; Loews Chicago O’Hare, Chicago IL
- May 5, 2018 Invited Speaker: Ketogenic Diets: Fad, Fats, and Facts
CME Program; University of the East Medical Alumni Association of America UERM MARVADC Chapter; Alumni Fundraising Spring Gala; Doubletree Hotel Tyson’s Corner ,McLean Virginia
- August 30, 2017 Invited Lecturer: Colorectal Cancer – Current Status and New Therapies- Gastrointestinal Lecture Series, Gastroenterology Department, Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- February 3, 2017 Invited Speaker : Beyond Chemotherapy- Role of Biologics in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer- Annual Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- February 12, 2016 Invited Speaker: Nutrition and Cancer- Ketogenic Diets and Cancer; Annual Updates in Hematology Oncology, VAPHS
Veteran Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- Oct. 19, 2015 Speaker and Moderator: “Chemotherapy Update- Lonsurf (Trifluridine/Tipiracil) in Metastatic Colon Cancer and other New Drugs” Tan J. Colorectal Cancer Series, VAPHS Pittsburgh PA
- Oct. 4, 2015 Invited Speaker : Oral Abstract Presentation, Tan-Shalaby J, Carrick J, Genovese D, Edinger K, Liman A, Passero V, Shah R. Modified Ketogenic Diet in Advanced Cancer, A Pilot Safety and Feasibility Study in the Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System, Final Results, AVAHO Association of VA Hematology Oncology Annual Conference, October 2-4, 2015,, Marriott Wardman, Washington DC
- Feb 23, 2015 Speaker: “Peritoneal carcinomatosis and the role of HIPEC” Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- April 8, 2015 Speaker: “Eleven Nodes or Less” Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- April 20, 2015 Speaker: “Colorectal Cancer with Liver Only Metastases”, Tan J, Colorectal cancer lecture series, VAPHS Pittsburgh VA
- January 9, 2015 Invited Speaker: “Nutrition and Diet in Cancer”, Tan J, Speaker, Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; January 9, 2015
- January 9, 2015 Invited Speaker: “Updates in Colorectal cancer”, Tan J, Speaker, Updates in Hematology and Oncology, Pittsburgh VA Healthcare System; January 9, 2015
Administrator of Online Facebook Cancer support group. Keto for Cancer
Moderator and Blogger of public cancer domain: www.ketooncologist.com
Updated: September 25, 2020 JT